Friday, April 17, 2009

#7 e-Post

(a) What difficulties do you have writing in your university classes? How do you resolve these difficulties? How will you continue to improve?

The some problematic areas have encountered while writing in my university classes are grammar, generation and organization of ideas for essays. I think that my English foundation is really rocky and I have difficulty grasping the grammar concepts. There are so many grammatical rules to follow, especially the different verb tenses to be used for illustrating actions occurring at different periods of time. I appreciate the course for allowing me to clarify my doubts for grammar usage. From the books and notes, I have better understanding of the use of verb tenses like past perfect tense, present continuous tense. Other than these, I think by doing more grammar editing practices help to strengthen my concept too. I will continue to memorize the grammar usage and practise with more to improve my concept.

Next 2 difficulties are generation and organization of argumentative points for essays, which are the core segment of writing. According to the question, we have to think of the stand and points which address it accordingly. I think that I am not an insightful person who is capable of thinking argumentative points. Most of the time, I will need a lot of time to the arguments. As a result, under time constraint condition, I cannot perform as well as expected. Therefore, doing an outline before writing the essay is essential, to ensure the flow of the essay. While doing the outline, I have to set the premise right, considering the degree of each factor that supports my argument. I have to be more inquisitive, constantly ask myself how and to what extent each point addresses the question. I will continue to read more critically, so as to gain more insights from various sources. Overall, practice makes perfect. I will continue to write more essays, think more critically, so as to generate better arguments.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Wei Ling
    Students like you make teaching such a delightful experience, with your fine mind and pleasant disposition.
    Souk Yee

    ReplyDelete